Things to do with Kids in New York this Fall. Whether you are at home or traveling fall is a great time to get outside explore and have fun.
1. New York Apple Picking
New York is known as the Big Apple and upstate is filled with apple orchards and fun fall activities. The many States offer apple picking in the fall. Its a wonderfully healthy and affordable activity to do as a family. Some farms also offer additional fall activities and animals. Don’t forget to grab some apple cider and apple cider donuts as well as fresh fall vegetables. Check out these great apple recipes you can make with kids. Some apple farms having a viewing window so you can watch the donuts being made. Also, you can check out a cider mill and learn about how cider is made.
- Picking apples (check out the best farms for Apple Picking in NYS)
- baking with apples
- making candy apples
- Enjoying apple cider and apple cider donuts
2. New York Pumpkin Patches
Head over to a farm that offers pick your own pumpkins. They often offer hayrides and possible other fall activities. Once you’ve picked the perfect pumpkin you can go home and paint it or wait till it’s closer to Halloween to carve it. When carving the pumpkins make sure to save the seeds to roast for a healthy fall snack.
- picking pumpkins (check out Stanton’s Feura Farm or Ellms Family Farm for some great pumpkin picking and other fall activities)
- carving or painting pumpkins
- baking pumpkin seeds
3. New York Corn Maze
Corn mazes are a lot of fun for all ages. When the kids were younger we would allow them to take turns leading until one of them went the wrong way then it was time to switch. Some corn mazes offer clues to help guide you through the maze. There are some small and some huge mazes so make sure you know what you are getting yourself into and that it’s age-appropriate. Some places also offer hay mazes for younger kids. Spend a Day in Fly Creek New York and enjoy a Corn Maze and much more family fall Fun. Some farms who offer corn mazes also offer other activities such as:
- pipe slides or hay slides
- corn box (like a sandbox but corn kernels)
- trikes for kids to ride
- and so much more
Corn Mazes In New York State
- Fly Creek Valey Corn Maze is a great corn maze for a challenging course
- Stanton’s Feura Farm is a great small maze for younger families
- Ellms Family Farm is a challenging maze with secret clues to add to the excitement.
- Liberty Ridge Farm is a fun corn maze with clues to help you through the maze.
4. New York Fall Foliage
Head to New England for some great views of the foliage in the fall. Here’s a link to dates for fall foliage around the country. The White Mountains of New Hampshire are a great weekend trip option. The Catskills are a great place to check out beautiful fall foliage. Our Favorite spot near Albany, NY for Fall Foliage is Thacher State Park. The Adirondacks are a great getaway year round but are full of color in the fall and great for hiking or just taking a scenic stroll around Mirror Lake in Lake Placid.
If you collect some colorful leaves they make great fall arts and craft projects. If you have some of your own leaves at home, jumping in a giant pile of leaves is always a fun fall activity. When you are done using the leaves to stuff a scarecrow.
- Enjoy the changing of the leaves
- Enjoy jumping into leaf piles
- lots of leaf arts and crafts to make
5. New York Fall and Halloween Special Events
Halloween is no longer a 1-night event. There are also sorts of events and activities themed around Halloween that are a lot of fun. From Disney’s Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party to Universal’s more adult-themed Halloween Horror Nights, its clear everyone loves a good Halloween Party. Check out local events in the area you live or are visiting but here are some of the types of events we enjoy in a typical Halloween Season.
- Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party at Walt Disney World is our favorite event though it will require a plane ticket or long drive it’s a great fall vacation. Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights is a spookier version not necessarily suited for younger kids.
- Busch Garden’s has a Halloween Event this year it was Halloween Harvest but it’s often called Hall-o-Scream this can easily be done as a weekend trip.
- Six Flags Parks (check locations) Fright Fest
- Some Public Library Offers a Halloween Parade
- Check your local Malls for Trick or Treating
- Our Community Park throws a fun Fall Celebration with outdoor carnival-type games, face painting, balloon animals, and such.
- Pumpkin Glow Events like the one in Philadelphia OR Ellms Family Farm, Upstate NY
Other Fall Events
- Local Festivals such as chowder festivals. check out Troy, NY Chowderfest and enjoy samples of the best chowders and soups in the area and vote for your favorite.
- Open House at your Local Fire Stations. We have some wonderful events at our local stations including bounce houses, rock walls, climbing into a real fire truck, spraying a fire hose, and much more.
- Local Museums often offer special Halloween or fall-related events. if you have a museum pass from an ASTC reciprocal museum you can often attend these at no additional cost. The Fireman’s Museum in Hudson, NY usually has several fall events.
6. New York Fall Hiking
While Hiking can be done year-round, it’s one of several great fall activities because as temperatures drop it becomes easier to manage longer hikes with kids. Fall is a wonderful time to head out as the leaves turn color and fall of trees there is more viability over scenic areas.
- Check out new trails
- View fall foliage
- look for animals more easily
- take longer more challenging hikes in the cooler weather
There’s Great Hiking Available in the Capital Region / Hudson Valley New York
- Bloomingdale brook Water Fall Trail
- Hannacroix Creek Preserve
- Christman’s Bird and Wildlife Sanctuary
- Grafton Lakes State Park
- Thatcher Park awesome fall foliage Views and wonderful hiking
7. New York Fall Lake or Beach visits
Head to the beach or a lake for some great fall activities. As the temperature gets cooler outdoor swimming becomes something for the brave but it doesn’t mean you can’t get out on the water. There’s plenty of things to do at the beach when its too cold to swim. Whether on a boat, kayak, or canoe, the Fall foliage makes for some great views, and as the leaves fall animals become easier to see. Just be careful it can be dangerous to fall into the water as water temperatures drop.
Beach time can be fun and relaxing even when it’s too cold to swim. the Reduced crowds and cooler weather make it great for enjoying beach sports, playing in the sand, and flying kites.
8. New York Fall Bike Ride
Check out a local bike trail or if you are headed on a trip check out a bike trail at your destination. The dropping temperatures make it a great time for some long bike rides. We enjoy our Albany County Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail and also enjoyed the Shining Sea Bike Way in Cape Cod. Simsbury, CT is another great place for a bike ride. In the early part of fall it’s not too cold to try the Simsbury Family Triathlon.
9. New York Camping in Fall
As the days get cooler you may be switching to a heavier sleeping bag but it doesn’t mean the camping season is over. Camping is a wonderful way to get out in nature, view the leaves, spot wild animals, and explore nature. Have a campfire and tell stories while roasting smores.
- enjoy an evening or even daytime fire
- roast smores
- explore nature and wildlife that is easier to view
10. New York Fishing
Fall fishing is a great activity. Nothing more relaxing than looking out at the water, making small talk with your kids. Make sure you are aware of local fishing laws.
If you are looking for a warmer getaway to check out these Budget Trips.
Our Favorite budget friendly Resort is Holiday Inn All-Inclusive Jamaica. There’s so much to do you never have to leave the resort and it costs less than most beach resorts. Atlantis Bahamas offers an amazing aquarium and water park as well as numerous pools. Universal Studios offers a great value with their season passes including room discounts. Hyatt Regency Coconut Point offers a nice onsite water park and private beach island. If you have younger kids the Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana is sure to be a hit.
Join the AffordableFamilyTravel.com Crew on Facebook to share tips and tricks for affordable family travel.
Follow Affordable_Family_Travel on Instagram