This week we are to enjoy while exploring from home – japan. A Country we were lucky to visit last year. We had a wonderful time including several days at Tokyo Disneyland. We brought home Kimonos and an appreciation for Japanese food, which I look forward to having this week. I will update this post later in the week as we explore Japan.
Food to enjoy while exploring from home – Japan
I love trying new food and trying to get my kids to try it. It’s part of our travel experience. The great thing about being home is that you can have the kids help out making the food as an activity.
- Ramen is a popular Japanese dish that children and adults a like will love.
- Sushi*we used smoke salmon and cooked shrimp
- Candy Sushi *
- Okonomiyaki: okonomiyaki sauce on amazon for Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki you will need Soba too.
- Yokitori we used okonomiyaki sauce above
- Tonkatsu Curry
- Wasabi peas
*easier for smaller kids to help
Books to enjoy while exploring from home – Japan
Stories are a great way for kids to learn about Japan
Movies / TV Shows to watch while exploring from home – Japan
- Detective Pichatchu
- Japanese Anime
- Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift
- Ramen Girl
- Pokémon Detective Pikachu
- Lego Nijago
Music to enjoy while exploring from home – Japan
Activities to enjoy while exploring from home – Japan
- Watch the above Maiko Video
- Find Japan on the map
- Create a Japanese Flag and learn its meaning
- LEGO Ninjago building
- make a Japanese hand fan with Popsicle sticks
- Dress up in Kimonos and Japanese tea ceremony
- Learn to Fan Dance
- Karate or Judo
- Cook Japanese Food.
- Play Pokemon cards
- Nintendo / Sega gaming
Online Education and Exploration
- Learn some Japanese words or Join Duolingo
- Learn about famous landmarks
- Write you name in Japanese. you can use Translator
Check out more from our series: Exploring From Home
Check out some articles about our Trip to Japan last year.
- A Day in Chow City
- Tokyo and Kyoto with Kids
- A Day in Odaiba with kids
- A Day in Kyoto with kids
Join the AffordableFamilyTravel.com Crew on Facebook to share tips and tricks for affordable family travel.
Follow Affordable_Family_Travel on Instagram
3 thoughts on “Exploring From Home: Japan”
I love the idea of making such a series of stories. Are you planning to cover all Asia?
for now we are just covering the countries we have been to as a family which is Japan and Hong Kong.
We just did an entire unit on Asia and my kids loved it, but we didn’t do a tea ceremony! Maybe we will have to try it!