My children love camping. It’s a lot of work compared to our traditional travel style so we don’t do it often. In fact the only time we have tent camped was when we visited Six Flags Great Adventure Camping Safari.
However, each summer we visit my parents camp up in the Adirondacks and the children love everything it entails, from Fishing, swimming in the afternoons, nature walks and, board games and campfires at night.
The kids love fishing but always catch small fish. We release the fish when the kids aren’t looking and tell them Grandpa filleted them. We then serve fish sticks at night which were “made” from the filets. Its a tradition that’s become part of the camp experience.
If you haven’t planned what to get your kids for Easter this would also be a great theme for an Easter basket. If Peep smores aren’t a thing maybe they should be?
- Roast hot dogs over the fire
- Fishsticks (or baked trout)
- Grilled Meat such as Burgers, Steak, Shishkabob, bbq chicken
- Cold salads: Potato salad, Tuna Mac salad etc.
- Campfire meals
- Smores (oven baked or fireside)
- We’re Going on a Bear Hunt ($5)
- Pete the Cat goes campging ($4)
- Amelia Bedilia Goes Camping ($5)
- Cooking in a Can ($7)
- Curious George goes Camping ($5)
- Camp Takota
- Camp Rock
- Heavy Weights
- With out a Paddle
- Band Camp
- The Great Outdoors
- Aint No Flies on Us
- Home on the Range
- On top of spaghetti
- More kids Campfire Songs
- More Campfire Songs
- Outdoor fire (please check your fire code and use appropriate containers/firepits) (affordable firepit on amazon)
- Roasting smores (Smores kit)
- Cooking fire side
- Exploring nature: discover what plans and creatures live in your back yard. Our kids love to do this with their bug kits.
- Camping Crafts
- Make your own fishing pole
- Art using nature
- Outdoor Games
- Night time outdoor games
- Outdoor Scavenger Hunt
- Card/Board Games: Go Fish, Uno, Monopoly , Pictionary
- Fishing If you have the opportunity to go fishing do so. Even during this time of social distancing, NYS has encouraged fishing while keeping your distance from others. If you can’t actually go fishing maybe play a fishing game.
On-line Educational Resources
- Explore Yellowstone National Park, including the hot springs and a mud volcano!
- San Diego Zoo
- Farm tours! This Canadian site offers 11 different farm tours.
- Live cams at the Monterey Bay Aquariums
- Panda cam at the Atlantic Zoo
- National Zoo’s webcams
- Animal cams at the Houston Zoo
- The Georgia Aquarium has a bunch of live webcams you can stream of the animals from home:
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden Facebook Live: