It’s possible to have a Budget Key West with Kids vacation. Key West is a fun Florida Kays destination for adults but it can also be fun for families. We have always wanted to visit the Florida Keys with kids and while the Best Florida Keys Hotel for Families is in Key Largo, a trip to the Keys wouldn’t be complete without a trip to Key West.
Budget Key West with Kids Accommodations
It’s not hard to find budget-friendly hotels during the offseason in Key West. There are several options around the $100 range. For a little more (starting at $165), you can book the Southernmost Inn which is a great location in the Historic district allowing you to walk to many sites.
Key West Hotels on Points
The Hyatt Centric Key West Resort & Spa is a Category 6 hotel and nights start at 25,000 points per nice. It has a nice outdoor pool and a small beach with a waterside deck. They offer a fire pit on the beach and motorized watersports for rent. As well as a 24-hour recreation area with chess, checkers, cards, and foosball.
The Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel has rooms starting at 55,000 points per night saver rate. It has a 16 slip Marina with water-sports rentals, water taxi service to downtown Key West 3 times daily aboard the Beachside Express, and overnight dockage or dock and dine. It offers tanning beach NOT A SWIMMING BEACH and waterfront pool for hotel guests.
Family Friendly Key West Cheap Eats
Dante’s Key West Happy Hour 4:30-7pm
This is a low key bar by a marina. They have a pool but check the time that it closes. In the winter it’s 5pm so you will need to arrive before happy hour to enjoy a swim. This is a basic pub and I would not recommend the seafood. the shrimp had a strong seafood taste and the ceviche of the day ended up just being the same bad shrimp. However they know how to do pub food and their buy one get 1 free drinks during happy hour make it a great deal.
What to Order
- BBQ Pork Sliders 2 Sliders, bbq pulled pork, slaw $5
- Fried Pickles Fried pickle chips, served with ranch dressing
- Shrimp cocktail $6
- Bang Bang Shrimp Lightly dusted popcorn shrimp fried to a golden brown, tossed in our spicy chili sauce $5
- Pretzel Bites 12 bite size hot pretzel bites served with our famous cheese sauce $5
- Wings 8 wings served with bleu cheese & celery with choice of sauce….buffalo, spicy garlic, sweet & sour, teriyaki, blackened or bang bang – The wings were ok so if you are particular with your wings skip these.
- 2 for 1 beer or mixed drinks
Alonzo’s Oyster Bar Happy Hour 4-6:30pm
A bit more pricey but you are sure to enjoy the seafood here.
What to Order
- Peel n eat shrimp $10
- Crab cake sliders $14
- Conch fritters $9
- Bang bang shrimp tacos $9
- Buffalo shrimp $11
- Beer steamed shrimp .5lb $10 1lb $16
- Muscles Diablo $12
- Fish dip $9
- Fried calami $11
- Conch ceviche $11
- Oyster combo $12
- Steamed clams $12
This sports bar is located in the Duvall Street Area so your kids can be entertained by the chickens that run around including inside the pub. The bar offers tacos for $4.50-$5 when you buy 3 you get free rice & means, chips and salsa or fries. They offer other Weekly specials as well.
What to Order
- Taco Tuesday: Half Price Tacos Fish, shrimp, chicken, beef, pork, carne asada $4.50-$5, Free chips and salsa, rice and beans or fries with ever 3 tacos you order. so for $7-$8 you get 3 tacos plus a side
- Mondays $5 Nachos
- Kids meals are served in a fridbee which kids always enjoy.
This is a wonderful Cuban restaurant with very generous portions. Entrees can easily be split by 2 which makes it easy to have a meal for $25 or less for 4.
What to Order
- Cuban Mix $9.99 This is a huge sandwich suitable for 2 and comes with fries.
- Skirt Steak $17.99 comes with rice & beans and plantains and can easily fill 2 bellies.
- Ropa Vieja $13.99 also suitable for 2 to share.
- Key Lime Pie $4.99
Budget Key West with Kids Activities
- Smathers beach offers free parking. There are water sports you can rent there but if you are looking to save you can simply enjoy the beach and swimming or bring your own inflatable paddleboard.
- Visit the Most Sothern Point is a fun photo op. The line seems to move quickly but you can also sit on the short wall nearby for a photo in between groups. The location is on google maps.
- The end (and start) of US1 is another good photo op. The location is on google maps.
- Watch the Roosters around town.
- Enjoy a free Key West walking tour with these walking tours you can download.
- Enjoy Free Music and Street Performers. Take an evening stroll to Mallory Square Dock and enjoy so evening entertainment.
Worth the Splurge
Dry Tortugas National Park is the most remote national park you can visit. It’s not a cheap trip especially for families as it requires a 2 hour each way ferry ride to this remote island park. It’s known for its snorkeling and kids will enjoy exploring the fort as well.
The Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory isn’t an expensive splurge but I usually do not like to spend a lot for a short experience. $15/$11 per ticket for an hour can add up quickly in a full day of vacation, but this conservatory is worth the splurge because it’s a lot of fun and you can go through the exhibit multiple times throughout the day.
Products you may want for this trip
- Alligator Pool Float
- Papasan Pool Float
- Beach Blanket
- Foam Air Plane
- portable beach umbrella
- Inflatable Paddle Board
- Inflatable Kayak
Budget Key West with Kids Summary
Key West is a really fun place for Adults to visit but there is plenty of fun for families too. I think a few nights is plenty to enjoy Key West but you can also get a feel for the town in a day. However, experience Key West at night will give you the real Key West experience.
While accommodations can be pricey the over all cost to visiting Key West can be affordable by taking advantage of free Key West activities and cheap food especially the awesome Key West Happy Hour specials many restaurants offer.
If you are looking to round out your Florida Keys Vacation with kids, I recommend a stay at Baker’s Cay Key Largo Resort which is one of the best family friendly resorts anywhere.
Join the AffordableFamilyTravel.com Crew on Facebook to share tips and tricks for affordable family travel.
Follow Affordable_Family_Travel on Instagram