Our Recent Trip
Atlantis, Bahamas ReviewFlights: $472 fees (we used SWA companion pass and 61,932 miles) Hotel: $256 for Fees Resort Fee, VAT & Gratuity (4nt Free with Total Reward Status)
Entertainment: Included in Resort*bonus activity not included in budgetTaxi Service: $100 Round Trip Taxi
Airport Parking: $25 ($5 / day economy parking)
Here is how to get a Free stay at Atlantis Bahamas through Caesars Total Rewards. You can also use Marriott points to book a stay at The Reef
Here is how you can get free flights to the Bahamas (fees are extra)
Atlantis Bahamas Resort is a wonderful Family destination. With some tips it can also be extremely affordable.
- Stay away from the main beach where there are no breakers and where the cruise ship passengers go.
- Leave valuables in the room or on the ship: Heard a cruise ship passenger complain it’s $150 for a locker for the day.
- Make a stop at Violas for affordable food including $12 pizzas.
- There are no fish feedings on Mondays and shark feedings are limited to a few days a week- see schedule for details
Rooms were spacious. In the Royal Tower they have minifridges, but they are fully stocked mini bars and we were warned we would be charged if anything was moved. Royal Tower is convenient to many restaurants and Marina Village as well as the casino and the Dig. We were happy being there though the rooms with the kitchens would have been nice they weren’t necessary. WIFI was included in the room as well and we could access it from a large portion of the resort.
We really enjoyed Atlantis. 5 days was nice, but we will be back again. After a day or 2 we had our bearings but over 5 days we did not visit every pool or even every beach. While the resort is huge it never felt crowded even with 4-5 cruise ships in port daily. There’s many things I disliked about Atlantis (food prices and service being our main complaint). It really is a beautifully themed place to visit and we love the aquariums and being able to enjoy numerous pools and beaches. The sand is the perfect sand for building sandcastles and the lazy or should I say raging river is the best we have been on. Activities
Aquariums and The Dig
Kids love the huge aquarium and the dig. It’s well designed, and the tanks are cleaned regularly so you get great views of the sea life inside. The Dig very well themed. It took about an hour, as we took our time. It was raining first thing then windy, so it was nice to have something to do inside. We also enjoyed the outdoor tanks: loved seeing predator lagoon, sea turtle’s sawfish, sharks and stingrays. One day, we got caught in a quick down pour. We were just starting to have our lunch when we felt sprinkles and moved to the covered area by the sharks (and slides) we grabbed a few extra towels and set up a picnic it rained pretty good for 20min or so and we were glad we had an enjoyable covered picnic area. On the way back to our room from Virgils I took a wrong turn and turned down some caves. The next day we headed over and found the predictor aquariums that we had not yet visited. There really is so much to see make sure you look at the map and take your time through out your stay.
During our stay, there was an offer for free $100 slots credit. It took us about 3 hours to spend this. Mostly my husband and he cashed out with a total of $47! The casino was Smokey and while I only spent 30 min there, I didn’t find a machine I loved. My husband did and did well with it- the reel fishing game. I was happy to have $47 cash to put toward our other expenses.
Atlantis Movie Theater
ree movies are offered daily. 5 pm was always a kid’s movie with the next movie often being kid-appropriate. Popcorn is $8, and they had hot dogs for $5 as well as other things. Wish they offered daytime movies especially if it was to rain.
Food and drink at Atlantis
Water taste tinny per my husband so bottled water is necessary for me. We got 2 20oz bottles of water today and thankfully my family (accept me) didn’t mind the water taste and a woman checking out handed us an extra coupon for 2 more waters so we made it through the trip with our purchasing water. In the future we will do a grocery stop with the cab ($10 fee) and stock up on bottled water and maybe some other things. I will also be investing in a filtered water bottle that can remove chemicals and minerals that make the water taste odd. Gratuity is included. I believe 10% is mandatory in Bahamas to be added to checks at Atlantis its 15%. We found the service at Atlantis to be poor at Virgil’s and the Burger Shack. Virgil’s was so bad we will never be back. Vat is 12% and both are added even to counter service orders, so it adds up. The service we received in the restaurants and bars in the casino area was significantly better than that of Virgil’s or the Burger Shack. Nobu provided great service. .
● Violas ○ Pizza $12 ($22+ at Atlantis) ○ Burgers ○ Conch fried rice $5 ○ 3 beef tacos $8 ○ Skip the fried foods ● Virgil’s ○ BBQ combos $56 with sides is enough for a family of 4 with 2 small kids but chicken is a little spicy and the side options are not very kid friendly (u can’t get Mac n chees or mashed potatoes) ● Frankie goes bananas (expensive) in Marina Village ○ Conch chowder is like a spicy Manhattan clam chowder served this. Chunk of sweet bread it’s good for a light dinner. ● McKenzie’s at Marina Village ○ Conch salad ○ the shack across harbor has a bigger menu we didn’t make it but worth a trip if u can ● Burger Shack at Marina Village ○ Burgers and hot dogs $12-$15 ○ Baha spiced chicken was large $14 ○ Fries $4 is enough to share ○ $10-$11 kids meals with apples or fries ● Movie theater $5 hot dogs- we didn’t have them but worth noting first movie starts at 5pm so you can grab pretty much any time after that. Virgil’s BBQ the food was ok service wasn’t great portions were decent, but they limit sides that combo with the BBQ combos and it’s &18 for a larger mash potato s d will not sub a side for kid’s meals. The ribs and chicken. Would have been enough for 4 of us if there was kid friendly sides and we decided to order the kids their own meals from the kids menu. Kids meals come with French fries and you cannot substitute any other side. Violas 10-15 min walk from Atlantis past the RUI resort it’s in a little motel style place. I highly recommend a visit maybe even 2. We enjoyed violas though the food overall wasn’t spectacular but reasonably prices and good portions so be careful not to over order. $8 for 3 tacos tons of beef inside, meat was bland but very filling. I loved the conch fried rice which is yellow rice a little bit of conch and peppers and onions for $5, which I recommend over the cracked conch meal which was a bit under fried. Pizzas are large enough for 2 kids and an adult we had half leftover serious the pizzas at Atlantis is $21-$32 and this was $12! Wine was $18 but they didn’t have the brand and was offered a different brand. We agreed if the price was the same. She came back it was cheaper at $15! For apps we got the crunch fritters a couple of them had huge pieces of conch the rest had one or 2 tiny pieces and mostly dough but they were good. We ordered the fire cracker shrimp they were good but for the size of the entrees we should have skipped. At this point we were getting full. McKenzie The conch salad was delicious made fresh in front of you while not cheap it was worth the enjoyment of a local conk and the best thing I ate all trip. Nobu sushi sampler was part of the complementary casino pass. The sushi was small but good and the sake was very smooth. I enjoyed the sampler myself while my husband took the kids to a movie. Service was good, and the bar tender was very friendly. Frankie Gone Bananas They had live music. The conch chowder with a sweet bread was spicy but good too spicy for kids $9 was big enough for a light dinner The Burger Shack This is a good place for filling meal that is cheaper than many options at Atlantis. I really enjoyed my Baha spiced chicken and my husband enjoyed dish burger. My son didn’t love his grilled cheese and my daughter said she didn’t like the hotdog though we all tasted it and it tasted like a regular hot dog. While the food was good, and total was around $65 including VAT and gratuity. How we saved on Food: We brought breakfast and lunch, which we rarely do this. There are some places we go that I’m thankful to save the money for better quality food. I can say we saved a lot. We stopped a small market and the prices were crazy $9.50 for an 8-pack of the same cereal we brought. we packed cereal, oatmeal, pop tart, granola bars, juice boxes, slim Jim, Pringles, pretzel thins, pbj, quinoa cups and salami with crackers. Next time we will bring a cooler because of the mini-fridge not being usable. Also check out of my article Eating out of Your Suitcase.The dolphin experiences
This experience was an extra bonus not included in our budget. This is the reason my husband is the upgrader. I call these bonuses because I don’t include them in the budget/cost breakdown. Atlantis Bahamas has so much to offer it’s unnecessary to include one of their many expensive sea life experiences, but my husband always feels you take opportunities when you can. Dolphin experience $157 per person and $477 for 3 Total with fees. We had a free experience with the casinos experience pass. Our son was a little nervous and neutral, but our daughter loved it and was lucky enough to help bring over some extra fish for the dolphin. It was $95 for 6 photos or $177 for all. My husband the upgrader said it’s worth $77 to not wait here for an hour trying to decide which photos to get. Our vacation photos are a splurge we often choose because we rarely get professional family photos.
The activity starts by getting wet suits and being led to a room where you hear the story of how the dolphins got here. It all started in 2005 with hurricane Katrina destroyed an aquarium and sent the dolphins into the ocean. They were rescued and sent to Atlantis where a temporary structure was built. Since then there’s been many babies including 16 in 4 months’ time. While many dolphin encounters are in chlorine pools, the facility at Atlantis Bahamas is salt water. The oldest dolphin Kelly who is 47yrs old is the dolphin we got to meet. We liked the program, it was put together well. We all enjoyed the experience and having one free coupon made the experience about $120 per person. I’m also glad we took the opportunity as the current 2019 offer doesn’t include one free dolphin experience.
Why we will be back:
We really enjoyed Atlantis Bahamas. Being such a big resort takes you time to get your bearings. You are basically sleeping at an aquarium- how cool is that? The water park is fun for all ages. It has big slides are definitely for older kids though they have one tube slide which runs through the shark tank, that is 48” min and is calm enough for younger kids this is the one my daughter could ride. The beaches were nice and offered a variety from open ocean to one with breakers to a lagoon type one. We even enjoyed the dolphin cove beach where we could watch the dolphins doing tricks. Being at the royal towers I believe was ideal for everything making walking and navigating easier. We couldn’t experience every beach and every pool at Atlantis during our 5 days stay and we will be back to enjoy our favorites and some of the ones we missed.